Choose Your Favorite Indie Novel

Choose Your Favorite Indie Novel
The Eternity Brigade by Stephen Goldin
Doodling by Jonathan Gould
The Coming of the Fairies by Niko Silvester
The Card A Van Stone Novel by Jim Devitt
Excelsior by George H Sirois
Plotz by Marshall Bruney
Cavern Between Worlds by M.K. Theodratus
Patches of Grey by Roy L. Pickering Jr.
Pandora's Grave by Stephen England
Toonopolis: Gemini by Jeremy Rodden
Heaven Sent by Xavier Leret
Savage Fire by Ben Langhinrichs
My Novel Affair by Autumn Rosen
The River Runes by Ken Lindsey
Maureen: A Vampire Tale by Mark Mackey
Banocanut by Dan Schwartz
Middlemen: Born of Mud by Elton Gahr
Splintered: Sierra's Legacy by Leslie Ann Wright
See Results

Search the Web

Custom Search

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Teachers Please Read This!!!!!

Ok somewhere I have written I work in a bookstore.

This is for all the teachers who assign reading.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure the book you want the students to read is in this order

1. IN PRINT IN PRINT IN PRINT

2. EASILY AFFORDABLE EASILY AFFORDABLE

3. THAT THE STUDENTS CAN GET IT IN TIME FOR CLASS

4. THAT MEANS THAT THE STORES HAVE COPIES FOR STUDENTS TO BUY
(On that note what ever happened to the school buying required books? My mother and I were on welfare part of the time I was in school and barely scraping by the rest of the time. We couldn't afford to eat half the time let alone buy books for school--have any of you bothered to think that parents can't afford this?? probably not or probably don't care or probably both.)

5. IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON ASSIGNING BOOKS A HEADS UP AT THE LOCAL BOOKSTORES WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

What brought this on you say??? That is an excellent question. Today we had many calls from both frantic parents and students. A teacher in a junior high school the next town over assigned S. E. Hinton's "The Outsiders". We had 3 copies the bookstore across the street only had a few also. We both sold out very fast. The city these kids live in doesn't even have a book store. So, even though we are fairly close with gas prices over $3.00 per gallon people can't afford to go driving around to find a book needed for class in 2 days.

So, I had one girl start crying because everybody was sold out and she didn't want to fail because she couldn't get the book. I only wish I still had my copy. I would have actually driven it over to her house at 10:30 at night to give it to her. The teacher knew on Monday she was going to assign the book, but the kids found out last night and today the hunt was on for them and their parents.

One of the lucky ones came in with her mother, whom by the way works at the same school in the same department, knew Monday night the teacher was considering the book. She was upset too, because this has become common practice for teachers to decide on a book without bothering to find out if it's even available for the students to get. This is happening from grade school through the college levels. I've had people say they've had to drop out of a class because they couldn't get the specific book the teacher wants. That's just unacceptable.

START THINKING OF THE STUDENTS AND THEIR FAMILIES FOR A CHANGE INSTEAD OF JUST DECIDING ON SOMETHING. DO YOUR HOMEWORK FIRST THEN ASSIGN THE STUDENTS HOMEWORK.

No comments:

Contests, Author, Book Signings, Etc. Information Wanted

I give honest reviews and always say whether I bought, won, or was given an advanced reader copy (ARC) or was just given a book by an author or as a gift. I am not a professional author, publisher, et cetera and as of this moment do not get paid for my reviews.

I did work in a book store for a while until it closed in January of 2009. I like to read and read a variety of books. I buy most of the books I read, but would love to receive ARCs or free books.

I read old and new books and there are only a handful of people who's reviews I enjoy reading and I do not let them influence me much (except in maybe I will pick up a book even if that reviewer does not like it). Everyone's taste is different and if I like something does not mean somebody else will.

If you are an author, publisher, blogger, or et cetera and would like me to read something of yours or want to add information to my blog please contact me. I look forward to hearing from you and thank you very much for reading and supporting my blog.

You may contact me through my e-mail



(marylsracine@aol.com or
schneidermaryl@yahoo.com or
private message me on Facebook).

AddThis

Bookmark and Share

Followers

Add To Myspace

HTML content to post goes here (e.g. text, images, objects, etc.)', 'http://www.myspace.com', 3)"> Post to MySpace! Share on MySpace!
Custom Search

Search the Web

Custom Search

My Bookshelf--I know a short list but I own sooooo many books to list right now

Widget_logo